Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dawn's Long and Silly Journal - Read only if you are bored!

So I dont know if any of you ever experience this but I have had the hardest time accepting what I am known for here in Huntsville. What I mean by that is when I lived in Indy I was only known as a photographer. Well that and the fact that I worked in marketing. But everyone knew me as an artist. I went back to school after getting my degree in Photography and Computer Graphics to get my teaching degree. I didnt start teaching until I moved to Huntsville. Well, what do you think happened? Everyone in Huntsville knows me as a teacher. Which let me stop right here and say that I am glad to be known as a teacher and it is the most difficult thing I have ever done but also the most rewarding... and who wouldnt love the time off? So I love my job more than anything and am very proud to be doing what I do. I just dont want to lose who I was and still am.

When I went to Indiana Wesleyan I changed my major to art two weeks into my freshman year and had to declare a specific major during my sophomore year. I chose Photography and Computer Graphics because I felt like the two complemented each other well. Also I found out that year that I wasnt that bad at Photography (compared to drawing which I sucked at big time!) Out of all the art students they only give one photography scholorship out a year to who they deem the most promising photography student. I recieved this during my sophomore year - which was a shock but a huge honor. Anywayt, I then became a teaching and technical assistant in the photo lab where I worked and helped students for the remaining two years of college. During my summer breaks I helped a prominent wedding photographer i was his assistant during weddings. I began doing some weddings on my own here and there and honestly never have loved doing them... it takes your whole weekend... it's high stress and hard work. not my cup of tea! anyway, I also worked in a portrait studio in the town where my parents lived as the senior portrait photographer. I did a ton of graphics work for my jobs after college. I havent done that much since coming to Huntsville because I have had to work up to getting programs, cameras, equipment... all of that stuff! But I am slowly but surely building up the things I need and hope to start doing more and more with it again. I have to say that I really miss all of my artist friends up in Indy and miss the critiques on our work and getting together to brainstorm ideas for artwork. I went to an awesome church filled with amazingly talented artists and we would create artwork for messages or just for the beautification of the room or whatever. We dreamed up more than we created but it was a blast! I hope to move back to that a bit more in the future. I do have great artist friends here but we are all getting older and dont have as much time to sit around and dream up art projects!
Some other things I like to do... well, I also like to do stained glass, oil paint, weave if i had a loom, and draw if i am in the mood. Anyway, I guess I am just feeling like no one really knows me or what I enjoy doing and who I feel like I am. Since teaching I have learned so many other artforms that I never would have imagined doing. I like to create things - that is it in a nutshell! Sorry for the rambling waste of your time! I hope you stopped reading a long time ago. I am mostly just thinking out loud. Maybe someone here in H'ville feels like they know me better.... who knows?

7 comments:

Bull said...

Actually I don't know you as a teacher or as a photographer. I know you as Mike and Amanda's best friend.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Dawn - way to post. I know what you mean. Sometimes I want to be the person I was 5 yrs ago, and I want people to know who that Ashley was. It's a tough balance. Lucky for you, you have the power to change all that. Keep working hard on getting your talents in order, and before long, people will definitely get to know the artistic side of you!

Anonymous said...

I would say that I don't know you any better than that (as was obvious from our conversation yesterday which may have brought on some of this...) but I am really glad I'm getting to know you better. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of the boys - they are amazing and I can't stop looking at them! You are extraordinarily talented and I greatly appreciate you agreeing to take their pictures - I will treasure them. You truly have a gift!
Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Dawn you know I think you are an amazing photographer-I mean let's face it-that is what you went to school for. Your pictures you take definately show your talent!
You will definately be who I call on I have my own kids.:)
Katherine

Anonymous said...

So, what's the deal? Are you coming or what?! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you are definitely a multi-talented person! I think of you as my artsy friend.....definitely the most creative person I know! It shows in your work...especially your photography! You can take even the most uncooperative subject & make it a masterpiece (for example a sleepy Rylie!).....that reminds me...I need to book you for another shoot before your schedule books up! Keep posting your wonderful pics!Love ya!
-Em

Anonymous said...

I have seen bits and pieces of your creative/artistic side ever since meeting you, and you are an amazing photographer. But most of all I think you are just an all around honest friend and confidant. That's why I just had to get to know you better after we met! I knew you were truly one of a kind!
~V