Thursday, February 11, 2010

Where have we been?




It wouldn't be a post without a picture so I added this picture of Allen and Kaylen because I think it represents our current state of exhaustion. We have seriously been burning the candle at both ends lately. Before coming back to work we got busy with the holidays and Kaylen's birthday. My sister moved in with me on Dec. 28. I have loved having her here. She got to a place in her life that she decided she wanted to be near family so she packed up and took residence in my bonus room. It has been great to get to know the adult version of her. She is really cool. I am so proud of her. She is making such wise decisions and I am so excited to see where God takes her because of her faithfulness to Him.

Her job allowed her to transfer here so she still has employment. She is looking to find a job with better hours. It is really hard to get involved with a church when she has to be at work by 11. So she goes to an early service and then has to jet out and get to work. She can't volunteer in the evenings and she is missing out on many bible studies that she really wants to do because of her evening hours. Also, her hours are killing me! Last night was the first time I got a full nights sleep in months! It was amazing to sleep 9.5 hours. I am a new person. My brain is working again.

She has made a few friends already so she is not stuck with me all the time. She also found a roommate and an apartment. Actually she got her keys yesterday. So she will be moving out over the next week or so. I am sad to see her go because I have loved spending the time together but I know it will feel more permanent to have her own space here. I am happy for her and she will only be around 15 minutes away from me. She is closer to the medical district (which is closer to downtown and all of the younger crowd).

Some other things we have been involved with: We started a new community group which has 20 people in it with two more considering joining. I call it a mini church! It needs to thin out but we really like everyone and the group has gelled from the beginning so we will see what God has in store with that. I have been to the Manna House a bit more because of my sister going every Thursday. Kaylen has dance but I have been forgetting to take her... so now I have had to double up to make up classes. :) I have been traveling a lot... leadership retreat with our church, Atlanta for my dad's 50th birthday, youth retreat, and an upcoming women's retreat that I am going on with my sister. I am training for another half marathon so I have been running a lot lately. I am doing scale back Alabama (a program that has us losing 10 lbs in 10 weeks) with some co-workers and Allen is also on a team. He is taking classes and his job has become more difficult for various reasons. So we have been living in a house that struggles to stay clean. Running on fumes. A bit on the cranky side, if I am being honest. I havent seen friends very much lately. No time!!! I think things are about to calm down for me though. I have a few fun trips planned for Spring break and summer will be here before we know it! I hope you are all doing well and if I haven't called you lately... I am sorry and now you know why.

3 comments:

Katherine W Eiland said...

Wow-you guys are busy! Hopefully things will slow down soon. That is great you are training for a half marathon-the exercise probably helps minimize the stress. Glad you guys are doing well-hope to catch up in person soon!

Ashley Turnbull said...

I agree w/ Katherine - you ARE busy. Slow down friend!!! Just kidding, I know you love it :-) So happy for your sister! That is GREAT news!

Anonymous said...

Where are your 10 lbs going to come from?! I'm training as well for mini as well as full. I may need a hip replacement:) -- Bathroom Hanger Roomate