Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break

My spring break was full of projects. I started off by painting the stairs... here is a before and after. Tomorrow our carpet runner will be installed and I will post a final picture of the end result. I must say that Allen isn't fond of the black risers but I like them and most of them wont show once the carpet is down. So I think we will both like it then.




Here is the painting I did for Tripp's room. Sorry Jodi... it was my fav. and it got the most votes.

I made this out of fabric and applique to go above my stairs. I don't have anything on the walls in this area and it is so drab. I decided that I needed something bold for that space. This was fairly inexpensive as well. I think it cost me (including the frame) less than $45.

I also did one more project that took the most time. It was definitely a labor of love. I made it for a very dear friend who reads this blog so I can't post pictures until after her shower (which is this Thursday so you don't have to wait too long). This was probably one of the most challenging things I have ever attempted. I didn't realize it would be until I got into it and discovered the difficulty level. If I would have had a pattern it would have been a cinch but I had to figure it all out myself. I needed an engineering degree... maybe I should have told my friend to make it herself since she has one of those! ha! she probably would have done it better... more precise. Anyway, whatever it is that I did, it was the first and last of it's kind. I do think it turned out very cute and the fabrics reminded me of her. I hope she likes it. I must say that I had been excited to do it for a very long time.

Oh yeah, and the project that isn't finished... a table runner for my kitchen table. I would have been much further along with this one but my sweet, precious daughter found a blue sharpie and decided to color on half of it. I have to keep reminding myself that it was an accident and it could have been on something more permanent than what it was. So I will cut off the ruined pieces and redo that area and continue on.

Now, I did more than just projects. We let the kids have an art day outside. Amy, Kelly and Emily brought their little ones over and we played outside with paint dabbers, finger paints, and chalk. The kids seemed to really enjoy it and we only had one mishap. Poor Andrew tripped and skinned his nose. It looked really bad but he is tough as nails. He just wanted to go back outside and play. Anyway, check out Kaylen's concentration in this first pic.



After the arts and crafts Rylie and Kaylen needed a bath. They had quite a blast playing in the foam soap. It was a mess but they had the biggest smiles on their faces. I didn't post any of the bathtub pics... K is getting too old for those pics. But here is a picture of the girls after their bath. They are still full of smiles and happiness.

3 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Who in the world is this engineer-friend who has a shower this Thursday? I mean, I am stumped :)

Must be a great gift - cannot wait to see what you've got up your sleeve! You are so very kind - so excited!

Love the finger painting party - so fun! Oh, and so sorry I missed the big cookout on Friday night. Glad y'all don't hate Adam even though he makes fun of your spelling!!!

dawn wilson said...

Ha! I guess you will never know exactly who I might have been talking about. ;) I'm sneaky like that. You were greatly missed this weekend but it looks like you had a blast. And of course... we expect playful ribbing such as this from Adam... wouldn't be very Adam-like if he didnt have an opinion on the matter. I think he is right... dont know where it comes from but I like the two p's better than one... so he still loses out. :)

Carry Grace said...

I love the painting you did for Tripp's room!